Living with a diabetic cat...

Saturday 10 January 2009

All is well in the house

Today we're taking it easy.  It's the first day Cleo is back, and she's calmed down from checking all corners of the house to ensure it's up to her standards.   She spent most of the night back on my duvet, and was certainly there every time I woke up, purring if I reached to check on her.

Was I nervous about the first "proper" insulin injection?  Oddly not.  Got everything ready, took a syringe from it's wrapping, removed the vial of Insuvet Protamin Zinc from the fridge, gently inverted it a few times to mix, withdrew the correct dosage (2 units) and lay it on the counter carefully.  Cleo wasn't hard to find, she'd been skipping about the place happily and meowed eagerly for attention.  30 seconds later it was all over, Cleo hadn't noticed the injection but was twitchy to get away as she was in a bit of a playful mood.  Made a fuss over her, and she's getting smug, the other two cats are going to need a bit of additional playtime and cuddles as Chelsea especially is upset that anyone but her is around, she's always been very individual.   Since then Cleo has been to the water bowl a couple of times, and then back on my lap for a nap, and has now decided to go back to the chair for another nap after the exhausting nap she had earlier.  I'm keeping an eye on her, but will give it a couple of days like this before properly monitoring her and taking better notes as I want her to relax back at home and for us all to get into the habit of this before stressing some more.

Meanwhile, after ummming and ahhhing over home blood glucose testing, I think I'll pop to Boots (pharmacy) later and see what's available.  It's not going to cost me anything as I've plenty of points to use up as payment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers